Unsweetened Fruit Juice Jello is made with unsweetened fruit juice and Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener or no sweetener at all. See below for where to buy.
Yield: 4 cups
Before You Begin: Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
Unsweetened Fruit Juice Jello Ingredients
4 cups unsweetened fruit juice
4 teaspoons calcium water
¼ cup lemon juice if required (See Note in Step 2 below.)
4 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
Unsweetened Fruit Juice Jello Directions
1. Measure juice into sauce pan.
2. Add calcium water and lemon juice (if using) and mix well.
Note: Apple juice & white grape juice require lemon juice.
3. Bring juice to a boil. Turn off heat.
4. Put 1 cup boiling juice in cup for immersion blender, or in food processor, or in blender. Add pectin. It is very important to vent the lid (if there is one) to let steam out. Don’t use an enclosed blender that can’t be vented. Blend for 10 seconds, then stop and scrape down the sides so all pectin clumps are in or on the liquid. Then blend for a full minute until all powder is totally dissolved.
5. Turn heat on and bring juice in pan back to a boil. Add pectin-juice to pan of hot juice. Stir well while mixture returns to full boil. Remove from heat.
6. Pour hot jello into serving bowl or individual dishes. Let cool down.
7. Refrigerate until well jelled.
Option: We also have a recipe for Low-Sweetener Fruit Juice Jello.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona’s Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona’s Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona’s Pectin is available at your local natural food store, food co-op, and many farm stands. Find it also at Sur La Table and a growing number of more conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (Wegmans, Hy-Vee, Rosauers, Nugget Markets, Coborns, Fairway, and others). If you can’t find a store near you on our store locator, you can order from our website or many other online sellers.