Low-Sweetener Fruit Juice Jello is made with unsweetened fruit juice and Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
Yield: 4 to 5 cups
Before You Begin:
Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
Low-Sweetener Fruit Juice Jello Ingredients
4 cups unsweetened fruit juice
4 teaspoons calcium water
¼ cup lemon juice if required (See Note in Step 2 below.)
½ cup up to 1 cup honey or 3/4 cup up to 2 cups sugar (Other dry or liquid sweeteners that measure like sugar or honey can be used in place of sugar or honey.)
4 teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder
Low-Sweetener Fruit Juice Jello Directions
1. Measure juice into sauce pan.
2. Add calcium water and lemon juice (if using) and mix well.
Note: Apple juice & white grape juice require lemon juice.
3. Measure sugar or room temperature honey into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sweetener. Set aside.
4. Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sweetener mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the mixture comes back up to a boil. Once the mixture returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
5. Pour hot jello into serving bowl or individual dishes. Let cool down.
6. Refrigerate until well jelled.
Option: We also have a recipe for Unsweetened Fruit Juice Jello.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona’s Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona’s Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona’s Pectin is available at your local natural food store, food co-op, and many farm stands. Find it also at Sur La Table and a growing number of more conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (Wegmans, Hy-Vee, Rosauers, Nugget Markets, Coborns, Fairway, and others). If you can’t find a store near you on our store locator, you can order from our website or many other online sellers.