Lilikoi Jelly is a low-sugar cooked jelly made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
Yield: 4 to 5 cups
Before You Begin:
Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
Lilikoi Jelly Ingredients
4 ½ to 5 lbs fresh lilikoi to make 2 cups pulpy juice
Or 2 cups frozen, unsweetened passion fruit pulp (e.g. Goya brand), defrosted.
To prepare fresh lilikoi: cut fruit in half. Use a spoon to remove the pulp and seeds from the rind. Put the seedy pulp in a Food Mill and turn the crank until you have produced 2 cups of seedless pulpy juice.
Make Lilikoi Jelly with:
2 cups pulpy lilikoi juice
2 cups water
2 teaspoons calcium water
2 cups sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
Lilikoi Jelly Directions
1. Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
2. Measure pulpy juice and water into sauce pan.
3. Add calcium water and mix well.
4. Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
5. Bring fruit mixture to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jam comes back up to a boil. Once the jam returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
6. Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.
This recipe was adapted from a recipe on the My Lilikoi Kitchen blog in order to create a low-sugar Lilikoi Jelly recipe.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona’s Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona’s Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona’s Pectin is available at your local natural food store, food co-op, and many farm stands. Find it also at Sur La Table and a growing number of more conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (Wegmans, Hy-Vee, Rosauers, Nugget Markets, Coborns, Fairway, and others). If you can’t find a store near you on our store locator, you can order from our website or many other online sellers.