Herb Jelly is a low-sugar or low-honey cooked jelly made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
You can use any herb you wish in this jelly. It is fine to double or triple the recipe. Be sure to double or triple all of the ingredients. And be sure you have enough room in your water-bath canner for the number of jars you will make.
Optional: If you are making a small batch and don’t want to water bath the jelly, leave 1/2″ at the top of each jar and after the jars have cooled on the counter, freeze them. The jelly will keep in the refrigerator for 3 weeks once thawed.
Yield: 2 to 3 cups
Before You Begin:
Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona’s pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
Herb Jelly Ingredients
2 ¼ cups water or apple juice
1 cup fresh herb of your choice (leaves and stems, packed tightly)
Make an herbal infusion by bringing the above ingredients to a boil, then turn off the heat and steep for 10 minutes. Strain out the herb.
Make Herb Jelly with:
2 cups herbal infusion
¼ cup apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, if herbal infusion is water based
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, if infusion is apple juice based
2 teaspoons calcium water
¼ cup up to ½ cup honey or ½ cup up to 1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
Herb Jelly Directions
1. Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small saucepan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
2. Prepare the herbal infusion.
3. Measure the herbal infusion into saucepan.
4. Add calcium water and apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and mix well.
5. Measure sugar or room temperature honey into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sweetener. Set aside.
6. Bring infusion to a full boil. Add pectin-sweetener mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jelly comes back up to a boil. Once the jelly returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
7. Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona's Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona's Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona's Pectin is available at natural food stores (like Whole Foods, Sprouts, and many others), food co-ops, farm stands, Williams-Sonoma, a growing number of conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (like Wegmans, QFC, Fred Meyer, and others), and from our website, as well as from other online sellers.