Ginger Marmalade is a low-sugar cooked recipe made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona's Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
Yield: 3 to 4 cups
Before You Begin:
Prepare calcium water. To do this, combine ½ teaspoon calcium powder (in the small packet in your box of Pomona's pectin) with ½ cup water in a small, clear jar with a lid. Shake well. Extra calcium water should be stored in the refrigerator for future use.
Ginger Marmalade Ingredients
2 cups water
¼ cup finely chopped candied ginger or coarsely grated ginger root
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
Bring above ingredients to a boil in a sauce pan and simmer covered on low for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, but leave in sauce pan.
Make Ginger Marmalade with:
¼ cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons calcium water
1 cup sugar, divided (or more to taste)
1 ½ teaspoons Pomona’s pectin powder
Ginger Marmalade Directions
1. Wash jars, lids, and bands. Place jars in canner, fill canner 2/3 full with water, bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover, and keep jars in hot canner water until ready to use. Place lids in water in a small sauce pan; cover and heat to a low boil. Turn off heat and keep lids in hot water until ready to use.
2. Add lemon juice and calcium water to simmered ingredients in sauce pan and mix well.
3. Measure sugar into a bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into sugar. Set aside.
4. Bring ingredients in sauce pan to a full boil. Add pectin-sugar mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 to 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the marmalade comes back up to a boil. Once the pectin is dissolved, add another ½ cup sugar (or more to taste), stirring well.
5. When marmalade returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
6. Fill hot jars to ¼” of top. Wipe rims clean. Screw on 2-piece lids. Put filled jars in boiling water to cover. Boil 10 minutes (add 1 minute more for every 1,000 ft. above sea level). Remove from water. Let jars cool. Check seals; lids should be sucked down. Eat within 1 year. Lasts 3 weeks once opened.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona's Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona's Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona's Pectin is available at natural food stores, food co-ops, and farm stands; also at Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma (online), and a growing number of conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (Wegmans, Fred Meyer, and others). If you can’t find a store near you on our store locator, order from our website or many other online sellers.