Frozen Lemon or Lime Pie is a low-honey jelled pie made with Pomona’s Pectin. Pomona’s Pectin contains no sugar or preservatives and jells reliably with low amounts of any sweetener. See below for where to buy.
Yield: one 9-inch pie
Frozen Lemon or Lime Pie Ingredients
¾ cup fresh lemon or lime juice
¾ cup honey, divided
1½ teaspoons Pomona’s Pectin powder
1½ cups plain yogurt, warmed to 90 -100 degrees F.
1 cup whipping cream
¾ teaspoon vanilla
9” crumb crust or pre-baked pie dough crust
Frozen Lemon or Lime Pie Directions
1. Squeeze fresh juice, measure, and put into sauce pan.
2. Measure ¾ cup of honey into a measuring cup. Remove 3 Tablespoons of the measured honey into a small bowl. Thoroughly mix pectin powder into the 3 Tablespoons of honey. Set honey and honey-pectin mixture aside.
3. Measure yogurt into a medium bowl and warm to 90 – 100 degrees F.
4. Bring juice in sauce pan to a boil. Add pectin-honey mixture, stirring vigorously for 1 minute to dissolve the pectin while the mixture comes back up to a boil.
5. Stir in remaining honey and remove from heat. Add juice mixture to warmed yogurt and stir well.
6. Cover and refrigerate in shallow pan until semi-firm (about ½ hour).
7. While juice mixture is chilling, whip the cream and vanilla together to stiff peaks. When juice mixture is semi-firm, gently fold in whipped cream.
8. Pour into crumb crust or pre-baked pie dough crust. Cover and freeze until firm or frozen.
For more inspiring recipe ideas, see Preserving with Pomona’s Pectin: The Revolutionary Low-Sugar, High-Flavor Method for Crafting and Canning Jams, Jellies, Conserves, and More by Allison Carroll Duffy and the Pomona’s Partners, published by Fair Winds Press, June 2013, and available in paper or ebook everywhere books are sold.
Pomona’s Pectin is available at your local natural food store, food co-op, and many farm stands. Find it also at Sur La Table and a growing number of more conventional grocery stores with natural food sections (Wegmans, Hy-Vee, Rosauers, Nugget Markets, Coborns, Fairway, and others). If you can’t find a store near you on our store locator, you can order from our website or many other online sellers.